The fountain of Diana
The fountain, built in 1906 by the sculptor Giulio Piceno Muskets, tells the story of the nymph Arethusa, who escapes from Alfeo, protected by the goddess Diana.
The buildings overlooking the square sum up all of the island’s history, from the Middle Ages to the present day.
Clockwise encounter the palace of Banco di Sicilia, built in 1928 to designs by Salvatore Caronia, characterized by a portal framed by semi rusticated columns and a second order Ionic pilasters. In the east there is the palace Pupil (1773 – 1800), with the prospect slightly convex, irregular axis road via Roma – Dione. The palace of the Cassa di Risparmio VE Central is built on the area of the palaces Corvaia – already Grimaldi – and Zumbo. The first, by Giovanni Vermexio of 1628, was damaged, though not irreversibly dall’incursione Allied air the night of 15 February 1942. The second, which embraced architectural structures fifteenth century, was demolished in autumn 1957 to place the new building designed by Gaetano Rapisarda. The solution incorporates the portico of the cantonal model of the destroyed building vermexiano. The six decorative panels in high relief are the work of sculptor Monica Salvo and depict crafts, while the bronze sculptures are Biagio Poidomani.
The intersection with the streets of Rome and is characterized by its original Maestranza cantonal building Hinton Pizzuti, that stands on the palace Landolina. It follows the seventeenth-century palazzo Gargallo foundation. It owes its current appearance, with rich stucco decorations, alterations to the years 1895 – 1899. At that period are the frescoes of the time, by Ernesto Bellandi. The primitive form remain within the structures of the stables. In this palace he was born September 25, 1760 Tommaso Gargallo.
Adjacent is the palace Lanza – Bucceri – originally Platamone that still preserve the coat of arms on the capitals of columns (Golden, with five mountain peaks of black, driving the tip, surmounted by three red shells, lined up in a band, and a lily of the same place at the head, declares the Catalan setting, with a mullioned window that the wind and rain have embroidered. There are clear tampering with the prospectus, pierced by large openings made in the curtain wall. The table headless eagle from flying explained that It protrudes from the wall face, the splayed window and the Gothic arches walled suggest the Swabian foundation of the building. . Inside a staircase in the open air with the frame below the height of the steps , leading to loggiatino incorporated in subsequent factories , but still sufficiently legible .
The building of the Bank of Italy ( or clock ) – fifteenth century building , rebuilt in the 50’s – closes the fourth side of the square . From the large wrought iron gate we can see the ladder to heaven Catalan discovered with heraldic lion into place and the mullioned window punctuated by a slender column . The clock was placed in the prospectus 12 April 1882.